Skip to main content

Russia banned from Pyeongchang Winter Olympics


Russia banned from Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
Samuel Schmid, right, Chair of the IOC Disciplinary Commission, and Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee,
attend a news conference after an Executive Board meeting on sanctions for Russian athletes, in Lausanne, Switzerland, Dec 5, 2017. [Photo/Agencies]
GENEVA - The International Olympic Committee on Tuesday banned Russia banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics set for next February in PyeongChang, South Korea, over doping concerns.
The IOC decided to suspend the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) with immediate effect, but Russian athletes would still be able to compete at the PyeongChang Games in uniforms bearing the name "Olympic Athlete from Russia" under the Olympic Flag, and the Olympic Anthem will be played in any ceremony.
Samuel Schmid, former Swiss president leading the investigation commission, said an over-17-month IOC investigation has "confirmed the systemic manipulation of the anti-doping rules and system in Russia during the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014, as well as the various levels of administrative, legal and contractual responsibility".
"This was an unprecedented attack on the integrity of the Olympic Games and sport," said IOC President Thomas Bach. "As an athlete myself, I'm feeling very sorry for all the clean athletes."
The IOC "has issued proportional sanctions for this systemic manipulation while protecting the clean athletes. This should draw a line under this damaging episode and serve as a catalyst for a more effective anti-doping system led by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)," he added.
But Russia has denied state-sponsored doping scheme alleged by WADA report.
The Russian Investigative Committee said in a statement earlier in November that "the investigation had obtained data that WADA lacked any evidence of Russia's guilt in the mass use of doping by athletes."
Vitaly Mutko, Russian then-minister of sport during 2014 Sochi Olympics, and his then-deputy minister Yuri Nagornykh were both excluded from any participation in all future Olympic Games, the IOC announced.
Russia banned from Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
Russia's flag-bearer Alexander Zubkov leads his country's contingent during the athletes' parade at the opening ceremony of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, Feb 7, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]
State television will not broadcast Winter Games
Russian state television holding VGTRK said Tuesday it would not broadcast the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in the absence of Russia's national team, Interfax news agency reported.
Alexei Kravtsov, president of the Russian Skating Union, said: "The decision is offensive, insulting and completely unjustified. I consider that this decision will deal a great blow to the whole Olympic movement."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coronavirus: 'The worst bit is the uncontrollable coughing'

"The worst bit is the uncontrollable coughing," says Andrew O'Dwyer, who is recovering after being infected with the new coronavirus following a skiing trip to Italy in late February. "I've had worse flu, without a doubt - but I wouldn't want to catch it again," he says during his self-isolation at home in south-west London. Despite having type 1 diabetes, Andrew says having the virus "isn't anything to worry about for me personally". He adds that the fever he experienced is "no different to normal flu-type symptoms". "I've not been concerned," he says. The severity of symptoms can vary widely among people. Those who are older and have pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) are more likely to become severely ill and can need hospital treatment. There have been 10 coronavirus-related deaths so far in the UK. Andrew was told the virus wasn't circulating in the resort ...

Babajide made a Stunning Revelation about the Forthcoming Governorship Election in Edo State

Babajide a veteran journalist, while speaking on the popular program “Journalist Hangout” on TVC news Friday August 7, made a stunning revelation about the forthcoming governorship election in Edo state, says all political parties should shown violence because election is not a do or die affair. Babajide while reacting said “ I have to say I have my fears about these forthcoming election, and I hope my fears does not come past. As we can see the shenanigans in Edo state it is now visible that it is no more Oshiomole against Obaseki, it is now PDP against APC which could be devastating in the light of the politics going on now. Obaseki himself divided the APC, because all the lawmakers in Edo state belong to the APC but he divided them by inaugurating some lawmakers, and refusing to inaugurate others. Right now as it stands 17 lawmakers have decided to align with the APC and just 7 lawmakers is with the Governor. For me I think Obaseki should have averted these problem by just issuing a...

Nigeria has no direction, no captain, needs prayers – Secondus

Uche Secondus, National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has insisted that Nigeria currently has no direction. Secondus made the remark while stressing that the country needed truthful and honest leaders. The PDP National Chairman made the assertion while commissioning the party’s new secretariat in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, on Saturday. Secondus stressed that Nigeria needed prayers and God’s intervention. He commended PDP governors across the country for their achievements. According to Secondus: “Our country today needs leaders who will be truthful, honest and trusted. “The PDP has shown clearly that we have the best governors because of the role call of achievements and the country can confirm what they have seen. “Our county needs a lot of prayers. “A country with no direction, without a captain, we need a lot of prayers. “You all know what we are going through. “We need God’s intervention.”