Skip to main content

Newspaper headlines: 'Tories splash the cash' and £30bn 'war on virus'

Daily Express front page
Image captionThe image of Chancellor Rishi Sunak holding the Budget details is splashed across most of the front pages. The Daily Express calls it a "bold battle plan for Britain" as the government looks to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.
Guardian front page
Image captionThe new chancellor "ditched a decade of Conservative orthodoxy", according to the Guardian, which says Mr Sunak claimed the Tories were now "the party of the public services".
The Times front page
Image captionThe Times describes it as "Sunak's road to riches", saying the chancellor announced the biggest budget giveaway for almost 30 years. It claims that over the entire parliament running up to 2025, the government will borrow an estimated total of £300bn.
Financial Times front page
Image captionThe Financial Times claims Rishi Sunak's first Budget was "warmly received" by most Conservative MPs but not the markets.
Daily Mirror front page
Image captionMr Sunak pledging a £30bn war chest to tackle coronavirus is the focus for the Daily Mirror.
Daily Mail front page
Image caption"Dr feelgood to the rescue" is the take in the Daily Mail, which describes Mr Sunak's performance as an "assured Budget debut".
Daily Telegraph front page
Image captionBritain entering a new phase in its response to coronavirus is the lead in the Daily Telegraph. It says the response will move from the "contain" phase to the "delay" phase in the fight against the virus, aimed at postponing the peak of the crisis until June.
i front page
Image captionThe same story makes the front of the i, which says the UK is escalating its response. It reports that social distancing and remote working will be among the strategies the public will be advised to adopt.
Metro front page
Image captionThe coronavirus outbreak hitting Westminster is the focus for the Metro. The paper says Boris Johnson will not be tested because he did not come within two metres of his government colleague - Nadine Dorries - who was the first MP to be diagnosed with the virus.
Daily Star front page
Image captionAnd the Daily Star's main story is about the threat of seagulls - it says a crackdown on culling them means the UK is facing "mass attacks".
Rishi Sunak's first Budget - and the measures he announced to help Britain cope with the coronavirus outbreak - dominate the front pages.
For the Daily Mail, it's "Dr Feelgood to the Rescue". The paper says Mr Sunak "gave the economy a £30bn vaccination" in an assured debut as chancellor.
The Daily Express says he delivered a "bold battle plan" for Britain's war against the virus.
"Sunak's road to riches" is the headline in the Times. The paper says the chancellor's £30bn spending spree marks the biggest giveaway since Norman Lamont's pre-election budget in 1992.
Image captionRishi Sunak became chancellor last month, replacing Sajid Javid
The Guardian agrees he's "splashing the cash" - but questions whether it will "hit the right targets".
The paper says criticism from the backbenches was led by the former prime minister, Theresa May, who sounded a warning about the long-term impact of loosening the purse strings.
The Spectator's Isabel Hardman says the £30bn package for dealing with coronavirus looks like "small change" when you consider the overall spend.
"It could easily have been a Labour budget", she writes - and all the noises from the chancellor are that he's keen to spend more.
The Daily Telegraph says Boris Johnson is about to announce that the coronavirus outbreak cannot be contained - and that Britain is moving to the next phase of its response.
The paper says the prime minister will outline a timetable of social distancing measures for the public after chairing a meeting of the government's emergency committee on Thursday.
Image captionThe US President announced a travel ban from the Oval Office at the White House
US President Donald Trump's European travel ban came too late for the UK newspapers. The New York Times website says Mr Trump finally appears to be acknowledging the severity of coronavirus.
His announcement, the paper says, "signalled a break from the business-as-usual attitude" he had been trying to project two days ago, when he said the virus would soon go away.
The Washington Post says the policy is another example of President Trump failing to work with other world leaders to fashion a common response - preferring to promote his border wall over the scientific advice of his own medical experts.
The Financial Times reports that stark growth forecasts from the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) have "laid bare" the economic cost of Brexit.
The official budget watchdog warned that leaving the European Union would hit growth, exports and the public finances at a time of rising uncertainty.
The paper says the OBR predicts a drop in GDP of more than 5% over the next 15 years, even if a trade deal is struck.
And the Daily Telegraph reports that storm clouds are gathering over the French wine industry - because of a growing thirst for craft beer.
Domestic sales of Bordeaux have fallen to their lowest level for 20 years. The number of microbreweries, by contrast, has shot up.
The Bordeaux Wine Council said it planned to launch a new advertising campaign, promoting the "hipsters, creatives and crazy people" who produce wine - in a bid to win back young drinkers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

what is the most frightening thing that you have ever seen happen in life

It’s a man looking over his family during the British Raj in India. There were many cases of cannibalism and he feared someone would try to kill and eat his children or wife. I acknowledge this is a difficult picture to look at— but I included it for a reason. Many people in the US/West aren’t even aware of the terrible famines that swept through India and which are comparable to the holocaust in deaths (an estimated ~30 million people have died in famines in India). This was taken from the Great Famine of 1876–1878, which was far worse than the infamous Bengal Famine. It was caused by a crop failure/drought and was exacerbated by the crown’s export of wheat abroad. In total, 5.6 - 9 million people died (it’s hard to get exact figures). And within huge statistics like these, are forgotten stories. These are individuals and families, who slowly faced the despair of knowing they had no food and would have no food in the near future. They faced the horror of knowing there was

WHAT A HUSBAND TOLD HIS WIFE THE NIGHT OF THEIR MARRIAGE/ WEDDING

My wife, everyone has gone home. The music is quiet, the celebration is over. Our wedding was beautiful but it is now in the past. We have finished the wedding/marriage, it is now time to build our marriage. All that is left now is the two of us… What we will become tomorrow, starts from tonight. Our life is no longer the same. There was a day you put on one red dress… You looked so beautiful in it. That Day I wanted to just touch you! We were in the Cinema and I was so tempted. I wanted to just take you inside the toilet and kiss you but I couldn’t. Guess what? Now I have you forever, I can do that everyday. Before I take off your cloth and make love to you… let me tell you few things. I have nothing to hide from you from this day. My phone, you can use it like your own. You can access my facebook, my twitter and my Instagram From today, I have become a child. For the past five years of my life, I have been a man. I wake myself up in the morning, sometimes I go to bed hung

MARRIED OR NOT, YOU SHOULD READ This life moment

“When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I’ve got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes. Suddenly I didn’t know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know crewhat I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly. She didn’t seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why? You know  I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn’t talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn’t love her anymore. I just pitied her! With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company. She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten