Skip to main content

Self-isolation not easy with my son around: Sania Mirza


Sania Mirza made her comeback to the circuit earlier this year. Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images
Late on Tuesday, news of the French Open being pushed to September due to the coronavirus hurled the tennis world into turmoil. Players were quick to hit out for not being consulted or informed before the announcement came through a Twitter post. Sania Mirza, who made her comeback on the circuit earlier this year, agrees that the outrage is valid but she's willing to hold off until the scenario is clearer.
"I just think that there's a lot going (on) in the world right now and everybody has their hands full. Sure, the players should have been informed. I did get an email from the federation but I was asleep then. Once I was up, I saw the email and then the tweet and spoke to a couple of players and they were obviously very irritated because they first found out about it on Twitter. I'm not sure how the French Open is going to fit into the schedule. Hopefully, things blow over and we should be able to play the US swing. But I don't know how we are going to suddenly play a clay tournament one week after the hard court season," Sania told ESPN.
Originally scheduled for May 24-June 7, the season's second Grand Slam would now be the fourth and final major and will be played between September 20-October 4. The fresh dates now position the French Open one week after the US Open, overlapping with the Laver Cup, which prominently features Rafael Nadal on Team Europe.
Sania, who, a week ago took a 16-hour flight from Dubai after the historic Fed Cup win and travelled by road for another three hours to reach Indian Wells, says the news of its cancellation "freaked" her out. The biggest event outside the four Grand Slams, it was to be a sign of the rolling disruptions ahead.
"I'd finished Fed Cup on Saturday and together with my dad we left for Indian Wells soon after. An hour after we reached California on Sunday evening, players got an email saying the tournament was cancelled. So I had travelled 20 hours basically for nothing," she says. "Everybody was in a bit of shock on Monday. No one knew what to do. I freaked out. I was also confused about what was going on. In hindsight, it was the right call. There was just so much uncertainty. Nobody really knew the magnitude of what was happening. Maybe the timing could have been better."
The surprise hitch in plans had them then spend a few days at her paternal aunt's home in San Diego before returning to Hyderabad last weekend. Reunited with her year and a half old son Izhaan, Sania says self-isolation is proving to be a tough act. "Thankfully both me and my father don't have any symptoms and we're feeling healthy. We made sure we didn't step out of our homes both in San Diego and here in Hyderabad. Izhaan is just excited to have me back and with him around, self-isolation doesn't look like an easy option."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coronavirus: 'The worst bit is the uncontrollable coughing'

"The worst bit is the uncontrollable coughing," says Andrew O'Dwyer, who is recovering after being infected with the new coronavirus following a skiing trip to Italy in late February. "I've had worse flu, without a doubt - but I wouldn't want to catch it again," he says during his self-isolation at home in south-west London. Despite having type 1 diabetes, Andrew says having the virus "isn't anything to worry about for me personally". He adds that the fever he experienced is "no different to normal flu-type symptoms". "I've not been concerned," he says. The severity of symptoms can vary widely among people. Those who are older and have pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) are more likely to become severely ill and can need hospital treatment. There have been 10 coronavirus-related deaths so far in the UK. Andrew was told the virus wasn't circulating in the resort ...

Babajide made a Stunning Revelation about the Forthcoming Governorship Election in Edo State

Babajide a veteran journalist, while speaking on the popular program “Journalist Hangout” on TVC news Friday August 7, made a stunning revelation about the forthcoming governorship election in Edo state, says all political parties should shown violence because election is not a do or die affair. Babajide while reacting said “ I have to say I have my fears about these forthcoming election, and I hope my fears does not come past. As we can see the shenanigans in Edo state it is now visible that it is no more Oshiomole against Obaseki, it is now PDP against APC which could be devastating in the light of the politics going on now. Obaseki himself divided the APC, because all the lawmakers in Edo state belong to the APC but he divided them by inaugurating some lawmakers, and refusing to inaugurate others. Right now as it stands 17 lawmakers have decided to align with the APC and just 7 lawmakers is with the Governor. For me I think Obaseki should have averted these problem by just issuing a...

Nigeria has no direction, no captain, needs prayers – Secondus

Uche Secondus, National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has insisted that Nigeria currently has no direction. Secondus made the remark while stressing that the country needed truthful and honest leaders. The PDP National Chairman made the assertion while commissioning the party’s new secretariat in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, on Saturday. Secondus stressed that Nigeria needed prayers and God’s intervention. He commended PDP governors across the country for their achievements. According to Secondus: “Our country today needs leaders who will be truthful, honest and trusted. “The PDP has shown clearly that we have the best governors because of the role call of achievements and the country can confirm what they have seen. “Our county needs a lot of prayers. “A country with no direction, without a captain, we need a lot of prayers. “You all know what we are going through. “We need God’s intervention.”