Skip to main content

Posts

Europe’s Deliveroo and Glovo switch on contactless delivery during COVID-19 pandemic

Image Credits:  Matthew Horwood   /   Getty Images   (Image has been modified) European on-demand food delivery startups are starting to add “contactless’ deliveries in response to the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. Earlier this month  U.S. startups, including Postmates and Instacart, added an option for customers to choose not to have their meal handed to them by the courier — and instead have it dropped off at their door without the need for human contact. In China similar services began adding contactless deliveries last month. Today U.K.-based  Deliveroo   said it will launch a no-contact drop-off option early next week. “At Deliveroo we are taking action to keep our customers, riders and restaurants safe. To make our delivery service even safer we are introducing a no-contact, drop-off service,” it told us. Currently, Deliveroo customers not wanting to expose themselves — or, indeed, the courier delivering their food — to unnecessary ...

Boston Marathon postponed until Sept. 14 amid coronavirus concerns

Organizers of the Boston Marathon, the planet's most celebrated footrace, are postponing the event until Sept. 14 because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh announced Friday. The Boston Athletic Association, which oversees the marathon, had held off deciding the fate of the April 20 race even as other high-profile sporting events were canceled or postponed around the globe. But pressure had mounted from officials in Boston and the seven cities and towns along the 26.2-mile course. Some had expressed worries not only for the health of the 31,000 registered runners but also the estimated 1 million spectators who traditionally line the route, giving athletes hand slaps, high fives and even kisses as they pass. Walsh said at a news conference that there was never a thought to limit the course to elite runners only or to restrict spectators, saying this is an inclusive event. More than 30,000 runners registered for the Boston Marathon, which usua...

Champions League: Manchester City's last-16 tie v Real Madrid postponed

The second leg of Manchester City's last-16 second leg Champions League tie against Real Madrid, scheduled for Tuesday 17 March, has been postponed. The decision, confirmed by Uefa, comes after the Real Madrid squad  went into quarantine  because of coronavirus. The second leg of Juventus' last-16 tie against Lyon has also been postponed on the same date. Juve's squad will spend two weeks in quarantine after defender Daniele Rugani  tested positive  for the virus. On Thursday the Italian giants said 121 people, including football players, staff members, directors, entourage and Juventus employees are "observing a period of voluntary home isolation, in compliance with the requirements of the health authorities based on the provisions currently in force". A Uefa statement said: "Following the quarantine imposed on players of Juventus and Real Madrid, the matches will not take place as scheduled." City's Premier League game with Arsenal wa...

Coronavirus: UK government considering banning sporting fixtures

The UK government is considering banning sporting fixtures amid the coronavirus outbreak - but it will not happen immediately. On Thursday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK will move to the "delay" phase of its plan to tackle the virus. There have been 596 confirmed cases across the UK, and 10 deaths. "We are considering banning major public events like sporting fixtures," said Johnson. "The scientific advice is this has little effect on the spread - but it does place a burden on other public services." Government announces new coronavirus measures No plans yet to halt Scottish football despite Sturgeon advice Coronavirus and sport - timeline Johnson added: "We are guided by the science; there is no medical reason at the moment to ban such events. "We are not saying no to that sort of measure, we are keeping it up our sleeves. But it is very, very important in order to maximise our interventions that we get the timing r...

Coronavirus: People with fever or 'continuous' cough told to self-isolate

Anyone with a "new, continuous" cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days, as the UK government moves to the "delay" phase of its plan to tackle coronavirus. PM Boris Johnson said it was "the worst public health crisis for a generation" and warned many families they would "lose loved ones before their time". He said it was important to get the timing right for stricter measures. In total,  10 people have now died  in the UK with the virus. Schools have been advised to cancel trips abroad, while people over 70 and those with pre-existing health conditions have been told not to go on cruises. There have been 596 confirmed cases across the country. However, the actual number of people infected could be between 5,000 and 10,000, the government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said. As part of the new measures, testing will only focus on identifying people with the virus in hospital. Peo...