Skip to main content

Plan to extend early prisoner release scheme

Prison officer locking doorThe government is planning to extend a scheme which allows some prisoners to be freed early to ease pressures in jails across England and Wales.
Under the programme, certain inmates jailed for less than four years can be let out before the halfway point of their sentence.
They are made to wear an electronic tag and abide by a curfew.
Ministers want to increase the maximum period for which they can be released from four-and-a-half to six months.
An official estimate, carried out last year, said it would lead to a "spike" of about 600 in the number of prisoners who are freed early.
Last Friday, 2,718 prisoners were on the scheme, which is known as home detention curfew (HDC).
The timing of the announcement is likely to fuel speculation that it is linked to fears of a possible outbreak of coronavirus in prisons, but sources insisted the two were not connected and it was instead related to wider capacity concerns.
The prison population stands at 83,917, which is 1,431 more than 12 months ago, and is expected to increase further due to sentencing changes and the recruitment of 20,000 extra police officers.
The HDC changes were presented to MPs on Monday and will require parliamentary approval.
They were first put forward in July 2019 when David Gauke was justice secretary but were dropped as Boris Johnson prepared to take over as prime minister.
A Ministry of Justice "impact assessment", published last July and signed by Robert Buckland, who was prisons minister before succeeding Mr Gauke, said the aim was to better manage the release of prisoners and prepare them for supervision in the community.
The document said changes to the scheme would also "reduce the prison population by allowing suitable offenders to be managed in the community rather than in custody for up to six weeks (45 days) longer".
It said: "This will contribute to improving prison conditions and enable prisoners to feel safer, calmer and readier to engage in their rehabilitation.
"A reduction in prison population may also contribute to making them safer places for staff and other offenders."

'Strict conditions'

The planned changes to the HDC scheme will not affect the category of prisoner who is eligible for early release.
HDC does not apply to offenders serving four or more years in jail or less than 12 weeks, those liable to deportation and registered sex offenders.
A number of other prisoners are also considered unsuitable including people convicted of terror-related offences and cruelty to children.
A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said the government had been clear serious offenders should stay in prison for longer and public protection was its "top priority".
However, the spokesperson added: "Any effective justice system must also rehabilitate whenever possible and Home Detention Curfew allows carefully assessed offenders, who committed less serious crimes, to begin their reintegration back into the community.
"They remain subject to strict conditions, including electronic tags, and can be returned to custody if they fail to comply with any of these."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

what is the most frightening thing that you have ever seen happen in life

It’s a man looking over his family during the British Raj in India. There were many cases of cannibalism and he feared someone would try to kill and eat his children or wife. I acknowledge this is a difficult picture to look at— but I included it for a reason. Many people in the US/West aren’t even aware of the terrible famines that swept through India and which are comparable to the holocaust in deaths (an estimated ~30 million people have died in famines in India). This was taken from the Great Famine of 1876–1878, which was far worse than the infamous Bengal Famine. It was caused by a crop failure/drought and was exacerbated by the crown’s export of wheat abroad. In total, 5.6 - 9 million people died (it’s hard to get exact figures). And within huge statistics like these, are forgotten stories. These are individuals and families, who slowly faced the despair of knowing they had no food and would have no food in the near future. They faced the horror of knowing there was

WHAT A HUSBAND TOLD HIS WIFE THE NIGHT OF THEIR MARRIAGE/ WEDDING

My wife, everyone has gone home. The music is quiet, the celebration is over. Our wedding was beautiful but it is now in the past. We have finished the wedding/marriage, it is now time to build our marriage. All that is left now is the two of us… What we will become tomorrow, starts from tonight. Our life is no longer the same. There was a day you put on one red dress… You looked so beautiful in it. That Day I wanted to just touch you! We were in the Cinema and I was so tempted. I wanted to just take you inside the toilet and kiss you but I couldn’t. Guess what? Now I have you forever, I can do that everyday. Before I take off your cloth and make love to you… let me tell you few things. I have nothing to hide from you from this day. My phone, you can use it like your own. You can access my facebook, my twitter and my Instagram From today, I have become a child. For the past five years of my life, I have been a man. I wake myself up in the morning, sometimes I go to bed hung

MARRIED OR NOT, YOU SHOULD READ This life moment

“When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I’ve got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes. Suddenly I didn’t know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know crewhat I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly. She didn’t seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why? You know  I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn’t talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn’t love her anymore. I just pitied her! With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company. She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten